Whether you’re buying a massage chair for relaxation or medical purposes, or for neck and shoulder pain, choosing the right one is extremely important. We also recommend looking at best massage chair reviews before purchasing as well.
Why Buy a Massage Chair?
There are a lot of reasons why people choose to buy a massage chair. It’s important to understand if your reasons for wanting a massage chair are worth the financial considerations required to own a massage chair.
- Relaxation – First and foremost, massage chairs are great for relaxation and wellness. Imagine coming home from a hard day at the office and enjoying a nice massage. Or imagine being able to relax your muscles after a hard workout.
- Medical – Some people do so for medical reasons. They may have some type of injury that requires some type of massage therapy. You should always consult with your doctor before using a massage chair for rehabilitation purposes.
- Convenience – Many people want a massage chair for the convenience factor. When you’re tired and sore, jumping right into your own massage chair at home is much more convenient than having to drive to visit your local massage therapist.
- Financial – While massage chairs are expensive, they can be a cheaper alternative if you are seeing a massage therapist a couple times each week. Investing in a massage chair can make financial sense based on the frequency of use.
Types of Massage Chairs: Which is Right for You?
- Seat Top Massager – A seat topper massager isn’t really a massage chair. It’s a piece that you can add to your own chairs to turn it into a massage chair. The benefits are that they are less expensive than full massage chairs. They also give you the ability to easily move the seat topper to any other chair within your house. The downside of seat topper massagers are they often lack a lot of the features that full massage chairs offer.
- Full Chair Massager – A full massage chair is a chair that has built in components to perform massages. Unlike seat topper massagers, they can cover more of your body—even your arms and legs. They often have more features like more unique massage programs, heat and even built in speakers. Full massage chairs are more expensive though and like any other household furniture piece, they aren’t really meant to be moved around your house.
What to Consider Before Buying a Massage Chair?
Massage chairs come with a lot of features to consider. You also need to consider what you personally want and need from your massage chair. Knowing these things can help better ensure that you make a better decision when it comes to choosing the right massage chair.
- Size and Space – The first thing you want to do when buying a massage chair is to find out the size of the massage chair. Make sure you have enough space to fit a new massage chair. Because of their built in mechanical components, full chair massagers can be bigger than your typical chair. Also make sure you take into consideration how much space the massage chair takes up when reclined. It’s best to make sure you have the space to fit a new chair before you buy one.
- Personal Preferences – Know what you want to get from your new massage chair. For example, if you tend to have a lot of neck and shoulder soreness, you’ll want to see what options there are for neck and shoulder massages. Be also aware that if you are slightly shorter, the massage rollers may not align properly to your body. You’ll want to make sure the massage chair can accommodate your size. Some massage chairs also have max weight limits, so make sure you research these things.
- Zero Gravity – What is a zero gravity massage chair? Unfortunately your massage chair won’t make you float. Zero gravity is a reclined sitting position that simulates how astronauts actually launch on missions to outer space. It’s a full reclined sitting position where the knees are actually raised above the heart. It’s believed that this position helps distribute the user’s weight evenly, reduces stress on the body and leads to deeper massages.
- 3d Technology – 3D technology massage chairs have roller heads that extend more outward and towards the body. This allows rollers to hit areas of your body that don’t necessarily fall flush against the chair—like your neck and upper shoulders. This better simulates a human massage where a person is able to get to all parts of your body that traditional massage chairs wouldn’t be able to. 3D technology chairs are able to massage more of your body.
- Materials – Typically massage chairs are made either with a leather outer cover or some type of synthetic leather cover. While real leather may be your first choice, the synthetic leather may provide more durability against the wear from the heat and the movement of the massage chair. Whether your chair has real or synthetic leather, either option will provide an easy to clean surface.
- Designs – While you’re not necessarily choosing a massage chair based on aesthetics, you have to like the look of your chair to be happy to have it in your house. Fortunately most massage chairs are made in neutral colors that are easy to match with your existing home decor. Some massage chairs also convert so that the massage components can be hidden away to make it look like just a regular chair when it’s not being used.
- Features – It may go without saying that the main feature you want from your massage chair is for it to give you a massage. But there are so many more things to consider when it comes to features. Look for things like massage techniques, intensity/levels of the massages and the different automated massage programs. You’ll also want to know if the chair reclines if that’s important to you. Other features include heat, bluetooth and speakers.
- Budget – Massage chairs are not cheap. But they can be a great investment if you take the time to consider how much it will actually be used in your household. Purchasing a massage chair and not using it after the first month is definitely not a good investment. Also, if budget is an issue, consider a chair topper massager or a refurbished chair. Refurbished chairs are often practically brand new and sold at discounted price
- Warranty – Anything with mechanical components is subject to wear and tear. So it’s good to understand what type of warranty comes with your new massage chair. You should also understand what the maintenance requirements are for your new chair and the costs associated with maintaining your chair to keep it operating efficiently. Many companies offer extended maintenance and service plans.
- Setup and Delivery – Many companies offer free shipping on their massage chairs. Look around for this or look for free shipping offers since you’ll save money. Also find out about delivery. Some companies will provide setup as part of their delivery service. Because of their mechanical components, massage chairs can be quite heavy. So having the chair setup inside your house by someone else can be a nice perk.